Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

I have an idea, but dont have a clue!!

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2013, 10:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I have an idea, but dont have a clue!!

Well the title tells the gist of this post.
Before some of you frown at me for this, my burb is a luxery SUV to me, and i intend to keep it that way, and add more preety things to it. I will never go off road, or drive in the mud.
Now with that being said :-) I want to install LED lights at the bottom of the running boards. That will also be hooked up to the door lights. So basically they come on when ever door triggers dome. WHY??
1, i like it
2, prevent u from stepping in a puddle of lord knwos what in the dark.

Problem, idk where to start. I looked around the web, All i was able to see was people putting exterior NEON body lights at teh bottom of their rides like sports cars. Im not into that. So anyone who can think of this or give me an idea where to start, and where to maybe put these dang LED strips , spill it!
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 49 Oldsmobile once, which I "primped" much like you intend to do to yours. I haven't done any search's for LED Lights, but you probably have.

Anyway, I added a Snap In area Light for the same reason as you are describing, by drilling a hole in the bottom of the Driver and Passenger doors, fitted the Lights in them. Then ran the wires back through the Speaker Wire passage tubes, and connected it to the Courtesy/Dome Light System. When operating, the Lights showed directly down on the area/ground stepped on to enter the car. That was (at that time) Incandescent Lights.

I also considered a Hooded Fixture, which would have mounted on the Trim Pad of the Doors. I often wished I had chosen that, because, shutting the door firmly, often damaged the filament in the Lamp, and it would have made it easier to change the Bulb. Also, IF you use this area for the Lights, that you thoroughly seal them from the elements. You'd be surprised how wet the inside of car doors get.

I have since seen where the inside Pull Handles of the Doors, had Lights installed in them, that shown down on the entry area.

PS:
I do drive OTR and in the mud, and still like things like you're doing !

Last edited by SWHouston; March 27th, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old March 27th, 2013, 12:10 PM
CF Junior Member

A lot of "luxury" cars have what is called "puddle lights" mounted within the outside mirrors on the underside. The lights would turn on, luminating the ground below, whenever the interior lights turned on from opening the doors or unlocking the vehicle.

Check to see if Cadi Escalade mirrors have this feature, if so, see if they can mount on your vehicle. If they can't, maybe take the parts out of the mirror and adapt them to you mirrors.

Good luck!
Old March 27th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
A lot of "luxury" cars have what is called "puddle lights" mounted within the outside mirrors on the underside. The lights would turn on, luminating the ground below, whenever the interior lights turned on from opening the doors or unlocking the vehicle.

Check to see if Cadi Escalade mirrors have this feature, if so, see if they can mount on your vehicle. If they can't, maybe take the parts out of the mirror and adapt them to you mirrors.

Good luck!

(this Site doesn't have a :thumbup: or I would have used it)

Last edited by SWHouston; March 27th, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old March 27th, 2013, 12:43 PM
CF Junior Member

hmmm.. mkay... thanks.. .. Yall have sparked some thoughts.
Old March 27th, 2013, 12:46 PM
CF Active Member

Here are a couple of articles that you may like to read.

Automotive Wiring Tips
Using Relays To Wiring Off Road Lights And Accessories

Also, it sounds like SWHouston has a good idea on another approach to what you would like to do.

Good luck with your project.
Old March 27th, 2013, 1:07 PM
CF Junior Member

I believe our Suburban has the lights in the bottom of the outside mirror. I know our 2005 Suburban had them. They only come on when you unlock the car with the remote IIRC. but you should be able to fix them so they come on when ever the dome light are on. The only thing about the lights in the mirrors it that when you open the door you can no longer see where you are stepping at, the door blocks the light. It would be better if they had some lights under the running boards or in the door panel.
You should be able to get some bright LEDs from the parts store and wire something up fairly easy and tuck them under the body or running boards.
Old March 27th, 2013, 1:54 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 09 LTZ has puddle lamps...
Old March 27th, 2013, 1:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
my 09 LTZ has puddle lamps...
HA, that's a good name for those things.
Is that something that someone just came up with , or is that actually what they are called ?

Last edited by SWHouston; March 27th, 2013 at 2:01 PM.
Old March 27th, 2013, 6:27 PM
CF Active Member

Look up on the web Pipedream Flexible LED Strips part# NL-F216C-WH. These are fully weather proof strip LEDs and come in 16ft rolls. You can cut to length and add your own ends and run the ends to the same circuit as the interior lights. I use them on my boat to augment the courtesy lights. Did my boat in blue and my tahoe in white. I found them online for $28 + shipping a roll.