Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

need some trooble shooting

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2013, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy need some trooble shooting

i have a 87 Chevy scottsdale 4x4 3500, "it has the overloads so its a true 1 ton" tbi 350, not sure what trans theres no over drive so guessing either a th350 or th400? k i just bought this truck the kid i got it from thought it was the tbi unit, i have replaced the following: m.a.p. censor, TPS, tbi unit, couple other censors not sure what they are. i then pulled the distribtor and found that i no longer had any magnitism left in the advance, replace dist. with a junk yard special, truck fired up was running beatiful, got timing dead on 0 then hooked up elc. advance, "like i said she was running pretty sweet" slight rough idle "sounds camed but i think shes just missfiring" took her for a test drive didnt over heat, had power, shifts smooooth. THEN i started to cut out as though i was turning the key on and off, in nuetral sounds HEAVLY cammed, "like a superchaged drag car" its rushing bad enough now if i put her in drive even holding the brakes as hard as possible it rushes hard enough it "hops" forward, i really need some help got a 4 day weekend and want to go play.... oh when it chugs all my "dummy" light kick on "most likly cause the engine dies then kicks back on" thanks
Old June 1st, 2013, 8:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i forgot to mention, it smells really rich, but not blowing black smoke, its got a new fuel filter, and my tbi injectors have a pretty good cone spray... i also took while the truck was running and pulled 1 spark plug wire at a time to see if it changed at all and i never noticed ANY difference. if i un-hook my pvc vacuum hose "the hose going to valve cover" it seems to help with idle, havnt tried to drive with it un-hooked. truck has 141k for miles, should i maybe run a compression check? maybe a different distributor? or could it be my brain box?