Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

new clutch CMC now bite point is almost at the very top

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2018, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new clutch CMC now bite point is almost at the very top

Over the past year or so, my clutch pedal (2001 Cavalier 5-speed manual) bite / catch /engagement point had sunken down to the very last 10% or last inch of the pedal travel so that nothing happened until it was almost at the floor. I went to bleed the old dirty fluid and air out of the line, figuring that this would solve the problem, but instead, after getting an initial quick spurt of a few drops, there was no pressure at all and I spent hours trying everything I could to get it bled out. It seemed at the time that there was a blockage in the line between the master and the slave. I eventually had to have the car towed to a repair shop where they told me I needed a new master cylinder. I spent 11 hours at this place while they tore my car up, causing all kinds of damage to practically everything they touched both under the hood and cosmetically with chips, scratches, dents, etc....all over the exterior. Finally I was given a bill for $400 for what should have been a 45-minute job. Needless to stay, I was not happy.

The biggest mechanical problem I have now is exactly the opposite of the original one. Now, my clutch pedal bite point is at the VERY last half-inch before the very top when the pedal is at its resting (out) position. I am 6'4" and have the seat all the way back and now my left knee hits the steering wheel every time I shift. But I sure as hell do not want to ever go back to this disaster of a repair shop again.

My car has 229,000 miles on it and the first / original clutch lasted 15 years and I had about 185K on it when it started to slip. The catch point at that time never changed from the half-way point in pedal travel This new clutch that I just had put in there 3 years ago only has about 40K on it and is not slipping at all.In fact, I can't make it slip if I try.

So my question is: What is the deal / cause /explanation for this - and is there a way I can adjust the bite point?

Thanks.
Old April 20th, 2018, 1:47 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Not familiar with the Cavalier but there should be an adjustment in the linkage somewhere usually near the clutch.