Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Newbie needs tranny help... not that kind of tranny!

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2008, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs tranny help... not that kind of tranny!

Hello Chevy Forum guru's.
I am new to this forum, I have a 1993 Chevy C-1500 long bed with a 4.3L v-6, 4L60e. I had 2nd gear go out on my last tranny, so I called this transmission exchange place and they sent out some guy to swap me a rebuilt one for my core. I put it in, flushed the lines with a flush kit twice, installed a large cooler in front of my radiator, filled with Amsoil ATF synthetic and added lubeguard to it. Everything is full and cycled through nice and clean. I put the truck on the street and low and behold, I dont seem to have a 1st or 4th gear. It takes off sluggish in second, runs like a raped ape through 3rd and I am tach'd out at 60mph screaming down the hwy. I shift out of OD into 3rd no difference other than it doesnt coast like it does in OD. I shift from low 2 to low 1 and there is no difference which tells me I am stuck with 3rd and 2nd only.

No codes, I stopped by a tranny builder shop and he did a quick snapon computer check, a couple of old codes were in there and he cleared them out stating that they could not cause it. drove it again, same problem.

My question is, is there anything else on the truck that could be causing it? The guy at the builder shop was pretty much resolved to I got screwed on the tranny and I better get a lawyer. I just want to make sure that there is not something in the truck's computer causing it... I heard the tranny guys talking about a possible failure of solenoid "A" that would cause me to loose 1st and 4th and would not throw a code if they didnt put it together right, or, another thought I had is what if they gave me an s-10 tranny instead, not sure if there is a difference, I am not a gear head. I R Welder...

I know I am new, and I know that a lot of forums do not help out the new guys because there is a likelyhood that they dont come back. I am one of those guys, I wont BS you. I am in the military and going to deploy soon and need to get this rig on the street so my wife has a backup vehicle to hers while I am gone. I would appreciate any help on this, and if you are local to Kitsap, I will definitely toss in a rack of cold ones for your help in getting this thing on the street.

Thanks again
Jim
Old January 23rd, 2008, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Newbie needs tranny help... not that kind of tranny!

I'm no transmission expert, but I would agree with theshop. Sounds like you got a bad exchange transmission. What kind ofwarranty does it have?
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

google 4l60e no 1st and 4th or paste this link http://www.rvmechanic.com/rv/motorho...read_full.html
have you checked your fuses?

Kendall
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

As far as I know there is absolutely nothing in a PCM for a 93 that'll have that much control over a transmission. If there were you would have the same exact problems as before. The shop is messin you over bro. They probably either screwed up on the rebuilt or are just trying to scam you. If they screwed the rebuild up they'll probably be willing to help. Rebuilding an AT isn't easy. If not chances are they were trying to screw you over. Take 'em to court.

-Bizzy