Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Newsflash! Transmissions are heavy

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2008, 5:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newsflash! Transmissions are heavy

So, I bought a broken truck (84 Silverado 4x4)....won't start, transmission bad...needs a bunch of little things. Got it real cheap and figured I could fix it up new. Anyway, I've never worked on a transmission before but figured if I took my time and did all the research, I could do it. Nice thing about a truck with a 3" lift, is that you don't have to jack it up to work on it!
Taking all the proper precautions, I mounted some ratchet straps under the transmission to cradle it...along with a hydraulic jack for extra assurance, removed the driveshafts and transfer case and unbolted the transmission. All is well.
While lowering the transmission, I discovered that the bell housing wouldn't allow it to come straight down, so I had to move it to the rear, to gain clearance. Long story short.....I lost control of the straps and the jack and the transmission came down with a crash....right into my forearm. So there I am, my left arm pinned under the transmission and no leverage with my right arm. I groped around for something I could use as a lever and found a steel pipe laying nearby. I was able to lever the unit up off of my arm and get it out of there. Whew!!!

Looking at the damage, the transmission tore my forearm open...all the way into the muscle. Quite a sight really. But no blood. I couldn't believe it. I calmly went into the house and enlisted the nursing assistance of one of my daughters, and we spent an hour cleaning, disinfecting, butterflying and wrapping it up. Turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. (I hate stitches)

Oh yeah...the transmission. Well, I went out there later and looked at the transmission...still half falling out of the truck, with a lake of fluid all around. No damage to the housing...(as it's fall was cushioned quite well). That was Thursday. On Friday night, I got it pulled the rest of the way out. Saturday, I rebuilt it. Sunday, I put it back in. Sunday night, I took my daughters for a ride through the park.

All in all....pretty good weekend. The gash is holding together....the truck goes down the road....and I got the lawn mowed.