Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

No dashlights/tail lights.

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No dashlights/tail lights.

Hi there I am going stir crazy on this car! I have no clue as into what is going on! If anyone out there can help me I would freakin love it!...

Anyways what is going on with my car is this! NO dashlights or tail lights...and well now no brake lights either and I just replaced the bulbs in my damn car!. I have also replace the head light switch thinking that was it! But no such luck. SO I replaced the damn fuses. AND STILL no such luck! The relay switches are workin awesome. and when I test the lights in the back there is no light coming from the back end! I have tested the wires the brown/white and the gray and they both light up fine with no problems. But the wires in the back arent lighting up at all (brown wire).I do how ever have headlights and parking lights in the front just nothing in the back. Can anyone please help me with this damn car before I catch the thing on fire lol.

It would help if I wrote the specs down for you.
My car is a 2000 chevy impala 3.8

Oh yea and I have a book but DAMN clueless on what to look for on wireing chassis. if anyone can help me on that too it would be awesome
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

I was having problems with my rear lights not working when my head lights were on. It turned out to be a bad ground. Maybe you should check that out.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 4:36 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Pfff. Proud Sierra Driver...I was gonna say the same thing. :-(
Old September 19th, 2010, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default MORE farggin electrical

well fudge...my '96 chevy 2500 has the exact same problem....where are we lookin for this ground?...like he says...the book is worthless,electrically.fuses all good, connections tight.....it's something on the same line....just have to figure out where they share a ground/connector.....,any body got any ideas?
Old September 20th, 2010, 1:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi callgood12,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I would look to the battery cables, and engine to firewall ground strap first.
(AKA "The Big Three") When they get corroded, things get ugly.

Once you've leveled the playing field, follow up with a careful inspection of the rear wiring harness, paying particular attention to any chassis ground wires.