Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

no heater pipes-overheat

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2011, 1:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no heater pipes-overheat

hi, having just reinstaled an engine, with a blancked off heater pipe, im getting overheating problems. at idle the temp goes straight up above 195, with a 195 thermostst instaled. i dont think the thermostat is opening. im going to try a link pipe from the heater boss on the intake to the top of the water pump. i was just wondering if this problem is common and whether anyone else had experienced it? cheers!
Old February 3rd, 2011, 7:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this a new motor or one you rebuilt? It sounds like you are overheating before you even get going. YOu may have installed the thermostat wrong but I m not really sure what you did. Take some pics if you can.
Old February 5th, 2011, 3:03 AM
CF Junior Member

its an old engine,bought secondhand with unknown history, ive just had running with a thermostat for the first time.its all working ok now, i think the link pipe definately helps circulation of coolant at the top of the engine.
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:51 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default overheating

That circuit allows some circulation with the thermo shut,but shouldnt be needed. I would take a look at that thermo. Heat it up in a pan of water with a thermometer in it to see when it opens. Is it in right side up? You can get new parts that are defective.
Old February 10th, 2011, 1:19 AM
CF Junior Member

the therm works ok in a pan,my rad caps not great,seems to leek under pressure, so will order another one,but it could of been down to just an airlock i think,probly me rushing things without being thorough,im an idiot i know! .will tell for sure when i get the truck driving,shouldnt be long now hopefully!