Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

starter question

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2011, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter question

ive been having issues with some of the old wiring that connects to the starter in my 1977 oldsmobile cutlass supreme. so today i decided to pull the starter out again and see if i can fix this problem yet again...

everything went fine removing the starter, except when i went to remove the smaller nut with the small wire (ground??) where the wire had been old and brittle, i had the wire snapped in half with metal eye connected to the bolt. when i attempted to remove the nut, the bolt just snapped and there is nothing protruding to re attach this wire to after i re-connect the metal eye.

that may sound confusing but i can assure you that it is my lack of mechanical aptitude that makes it sound worse than it is .

ill attach pictures of what im talking about.

but my question was, is there any way i can fix this thing without replacing the entire starter? it is a newer starter with nothing else wrong with it. (probably has 200 starts on it)

any help,tips or instructions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Attached Thumbnails starter question-starter-1.jpg   starter question-starter-2.jpg   starter question-starter3.jpg  
Old February 10th, 2011, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lol

my roomie just made me feel stupid when he laughed and said thats the solenoid.

im looking into replacing it.

got the 3 bolts off but dont want to force anything to free the solenoid.

any suggestions would be great!
Old February 10th, 2011, 9:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default starter

If you got all the wires off and screws out give it a quarter turn and it should come off. When I run in to one that acts this way I cut the wire and splce it back when I get done. If you can find a bolt out of an old one you might be able to replace it.