Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

no power

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2011, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power

Why wont my 2006 chevy 1500 z71 silverado do a break torque just sits at 2000 rpms what causes this and how do I fix it thank you
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:31 AM
CF Junior Member

redneckmafia,

From what I construe from your post you are experiencing a distinct lack of power/torque and an erratic idle in your truck? If these are the symptoms that you are experiencing then there could be a few things wrong with your truck. One possibility is that the EGR valve is bad. The EGR valve controls formation of noxious emissions and thus helps make your truck pollute less. Symptoms of a bad EGR valve include poor acceleration- or lack of power- and an erratic idle. Inspect the EGR valve and determine whether or not it has to be replaced. I just replaced the EGR valve with a cheap OEM unit from Chevrolet Parts - Genuine OEM Chevy Auto Parts & Accessories in my father's '00 S10 and it completely resolved the truck's acceleration deficiency

Another possible culprit behind your power loss could be that the Idle Air Control Valve is either dirty or faulty. The IACV is designed to adjust the engine idle RPM speed by opening and closing an air bypass passage inside the throttle body. A broken IACV will cause an unstable idle, power loss or even stalling. To check the idle air control motor remove the unit, with the wires connected turn the key to the "on" position without starting the engine, the idle air control should move in or out. If the idle air control motor does nothing it has probably failed, replace it with a new unit and recheck system.

Lastly, inspect your ignition system to see if the plugs or wires are fouled. When spark plugs and ignition wires go bad your truck will experience a distinct lack of power and acceleration, poor fuel mileage as well as an erratic idle.

Good luck with determining the cause of your issue!
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your import my only concern is my truck only has 80000 miles on it I bought it with 19000 n I have never been able to get it to do a break torque I recently replaced my mass air flow n put a new crank shaft position sensor in it which made it alot more responsive I feel like it is a traction control but I don't have a button to take it off don't know if u have any other idea it would be great I will still look into what u said tho
Old June 29th, 2011, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

I am sure mybowtieguy as provided you the complete information it must be useful. if anything else let us now.
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:10 AM
CF Active Member

Almost all new (or newer) vehicles have a saftey feature built into the computer where if it sees the brake and the gas being depressed at the same time the pcm will limit the engine RPMS to something like 2000 RPM. If this is what is going on with your truck you will need some kind of programmer or scan tool that can disable that feature.

I work at a chrysler dodge and jeep dealer and I was very dissapointed when I tried to do a burnout with a 2011 hemi charger. It was also limited to 2000 RPM, a lil trick with the scan tool fixed that. Minivans are even worse, if they see the brake and gas at the same time after about 20 seconds they'll shut down to 1000 RPM and wont rev up untill you shut the engine off and back on. Not that anyone is doing burnouts with caravans anyway...