Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

noob at work got some questions on my build

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2011, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question noob at work got some questions on my build

i have a 71 chevy 350 2 bolt main
i bought an Accel HEI for it
Now i was under the impression that when the timing markers on the crank and cam were facing eachother that means that piston one is Top dead Center. HOWEVER. when i do the finger over the Plug trick to feel for top dead center. and it compresses and its all the way at the top. the 2 markers are WAAAY off from each other, is this normal?

also if it IS normal i should be able with the markers Aligned i should be able to set the HEI to cyc 1 and it should be fine correct?. when the markers meet Both the Valves are Shut on cyc 1. and the Marker on my Harmonic Balancer is at 0 on the timing plate i have.. i hope this is correct. i dont mind tearing it back down to fix it.. but i need to know before i go ANNy farther and end up breaking lifters and or blowing the engine to high hell. Thank you for your time
Old August 26th, 2011, 6:40 AM
CF Beginner

-bump-
Old August 26th, 2011, 7:12 AM
CF Beginner

Only Reason i ask is this block came with nothing on it. so im working with what ive got. so far ive got the engine Set TDC Via the time marks on the Cam and Crank and the Harmonic Balencer. any help would be great. and this is a dead end for me at this moment, i will not fire this engine up without being 100% sure on its time
Old August 26th, 2011, 7:30 AM
CF Veteran

Default timing

just make shure the mars on the cam gear and crank gear were lined up with each other , turn the engine over to get compression out the plug hole ,you should be close to the timing mark's on the tab and ballancer .
you can get it closer buy setting the timing mark's at the amount the spec's call for 6,8,ect then mark the distributor to show were #1 is and set the distributor ,you may have to turn the oil pump drive shaft slot to line up with the distributor drive tang .you should be close ,but i would prime the oil pump in the engine to get oil in the gallery's and bearing's .
Old August 26th, 2011, 8:58 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

The cam gear (top) is the large one, crank (lower) is small. The mark on the cam is at 6 oclock, crank is at 12 oclock. Yes the #1 piston is at TDC, you can follow the firing order to check which piston should be next to TDC. Firing order heck I can't remember but it will be on the intake manifold 1,8,???
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 by the book
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

So just see if comp go's from 1 to 8 and if so then just set 1 TDC and should be awesome, Great that answers my Question