Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

PassKey III

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2010, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PassKey III

Hi GM people,

I sure hope someone can help out a Ford guy with a GM question.
My sisters 2000 Venture is stuck at my place with a no start condition. The Security light is on and was on for a while she said. The car will not turn over, if I turn it on and jump the starter it will only run for a second.

I found a sequence to retrain the key to the passkey system but that did not help and Im not even sure if its the right thing to do. It goes like this....

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will be steady on as opposed to flashing.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

This does nothing, and I dont even know if it applies to the Passkey III system. Nothing I do will shut that light off or start the van. I found no codes in the ECU. Nothing pending or new.

I am stuck and out of ideas, I sure hope someone can help. Im thinking the next step is to replace the transponder in the steering column but Im sure if that will work.

Please help if you can, any advice would be great.

Peace Out,
Bob
Old June 3rd, 2010, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Anyone?
Any Ideas?

I replaced the transponder in the steering column, no luck.

Could this be a bad key?

Anyone ever see a key go bad, where the car just cant read it?

Bob
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Crank Relay

After replacing the transponder and the key, the Security light remained on and I was locked out. So after some tinkering around with the PassKeyIII system I got the BCM to learn the new key.

I can only start it by jumping the starter. So after looking at the schematics I have learned the other problem is in the Crank Relay or the Crank Relay fusible link. I dont know where those are, so Im asking the GM guys here to help.

Anyone know?

Bob