Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Power comes on, but goes off and won't start truck

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2014, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power comes on, but goes off and won't start truck

I have a '93 C1500 Silverado. I bought it knowing it needed work, it is an old truck and has 259,000 miles on it. I am a beginner mechanic and have been able to fix everything I have felt needed so far.
One thing I haven't gotten fixed yet is the brakes. There is a blow out in the rear lines, which isn't a huge problem considering the fronts shoulder most of the stopping. All the same, it has been rainy here in Indiana the past week and I don't like driving the truck in the rain if I don't have to because the stopping isn't so great with no rear brakes.

Two days ago the truck started acting in a way I've never seen or had to deal with in any vehicle before.

I went outside in the morning to head to work in the truck. I put the key in the ignition, and turned the power on, all lights, radio, everything that comes on came on when you turn the power on. I turned the key to start the truck, and the power and everything shut off. I figured it was just something due to me having an old truck and having rainy, cold weather, maybe it just drained a bit. I ended up taking my car, and when I got home from work that evening, I tried starting the truck again, power came on, but when I tried starting it, nothing. The power once again shut off and then it was like the truck had absolutely no power at all.

Today, I thought maybe the weather drained my battery since it has been so cold, so I pulled my car up to the truck and tried jumping it. Same thing happened as before.
Like I said, I have never come across a vehicle acting like this and have no clue what it could be.

Within the starting system, I have replaced the battery (Optima Red Top), the alternator, and the starter.
Any advice at all would be more than welcomed.
Old October 6th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

sounds like a loose connection at the battery or starter.
Old October 6th, 2014, 5:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I honestly didn't even think of a lose connection.