Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.
Old August 7th, 2015, 7:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

power window problems

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2011, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power window problems

Passenger power window 2002 Chev Tahoe works fine sometimes other times it will not work at all, the other day it got off track , worked it back on track then it rolled down and on the way back up it stopped......took door skin off , check switch seem to have power, contact does make a sound when engaged, unplugged connector to motor, checked power coming from the door panel / relay.......... test light did not show any circuit......would this tell me the relay connection or circuit breaker or a fuse is my problem, thanks
Old March 19th, 2011, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

I would also check the wiring in the boot between the door and the body of the vehicle. Found broken wires multiple times.
Old March 21st, 2011, 1:25 PM
CF Active Member

Another issue are the brushes in the motor. If the window is used a lot eventually the brushes wear down and don't push against the motor rotor as hard. When this happens the window gets erratic and you end up doing things like helping it up with your hands, waiting awhile or bumping it by say slamming the door. This bumps the brushes into better contact and the window either works for a little while or only a little bit.

Brushes are cheap and should't be all that expensive to replace, The real issue is if Chevy stocks them or tries to sell you a 200 dollar window unit because the last car I checked on finding brushes was a supreme hassle.
Old November 29th, 2011, 6:15 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Passenger Window Wipeout

I have replaced the motor and regulator to my chevy silverado on the passenger side as well as the switch/ doorlock relay switch, and still nothing seems to be working. I have checked all the fuses and they seen to be fine (all have continuity). Still the window will not work. Any suggestions on where to begin?
Old December 25th, 2011, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

There is a mobile service in Orlando called Power Window Repair 407-415-5401. I have called them many times for free tips and advice. It is nice that they help as you do not have to wait for someone to write back to you on the forums

They have a website Home - Power Window Repair Parts & Service where they sell installers, but they will sell individuals too. This is where I buy all my window motors, regulators, switches for my shop.
Old March 16th, 2012, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default ’99 Tahoe – Power Window Regulator Not Working

My driver’s side window regulator worked intermittently when I pressed the down button. Then one day it didn’t work at all. I noticed on You Tube that a company showed a video instructing on how to dismantle the driver’s side door panel, and replace the regulator motor, which I thought was easy to do so I ordered a rebuilt motor from my local auto parts store. I followed the instructions until I got to the panel that holds the motor, which was mounted with rivets. They said that the rivets had to be drilled out and replaced with bolts. . One rivet was covered by the plate supporting the regulator which I couldn’t drill. Dismantling the regulator to get to the rivet I felt was dangerous as the regulator spring was under tension. So looking for a miracle, I removed the cover from the motor which had only four torx screws. Before removing the cover, I wedged a flat screwdriver between the drive gear on the motor and the regulator gear to avoid backslash from the spring and keeping the tension. Upon removing the cover I found the brush connectors were just loosely inserted in a clip which I realized was the reason why my regulator motor worked occasionally, so I touch soldered the loose connectors, replaced the cover making sure that the brushes fell into place and reassembled the door panel. It’s been a while now and it seems to work fine. I found that dismantling the door panel was easy. I realized that you can’t replace just the motor at least not too easily as the GM shop manual states that the power motor cannot be serviced—it is replaced as a unit with the regulator.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

I have to get a new window channel for my 98k3500. Seems like PO glued the glass to the channel. Is it time for new glass, dorman channel, or attempt to free the glued glass out of the old channel?
Old October 18th, 2013, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Moedas
I have replaced the motor and regulator to my chevy silverado on the passenger side as well as the switch/ doorlock relay switch, and still nothing seems to be working. I have checked all the fuses and they seen to be fine (all have continuity). Still the window will not work. Any suggestions on where to begin?
I'm having the same problem with my 2004 chevy silverado did you figure out what was wrong? I have already checked and tested my relays and regulator and still no luck.
Thanks
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:08 AM
CF Beginner

I think fuse may be problem. I had like this problem, the mechanic who checked my vehicle, said that it due to problem with fuse.
Old July 13th, 2014, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default Power windows chevy

If you take the rubber boot off between the door and the dash there is a 16 pin plug that if you take it apart it has pins that get corrosion on them clean them and put back together hope this helps it worked for me.

Quick Reply: power window problems