General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Is this a problem with my starter or transmission?

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2019 | 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Is this a problem with my starter or transmission, ignition, or something else?

Recently, my car has been taking a little bit longer to start and I don't know if it's my transmission or my starter. It cranks/“turns over” more than normal before the engine starts. I got the battery replaced so I don't think it would be that. The video below shows the "sound". I plan on going to a mechanic soon. I can only think of it being the starter, transmission, or ignition. Otherwise I dunno what it would be. Sorry if it isn't very loud.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0310.TRIM.MOV (4.69 MB, 13 views)

Last edited by Wyatt Beltz; July 28th, 2019 at 9:29 PM.
Old July 29th, 2019 | 7:37 AM
CF Monarch

Try spraying some starter fluid into the throttle body and see if it starts right away. If it does it is the check valve in the fuel pump assembly. The fix would be to change the fuel pump or add a check valve into the fuel line.
Old July 29th, 2019 | 8:10 AM
Super Moderator

+1 for fuel pump
cycle the key to run 4x before starting...this primes the fuel line and rail.

key to run...let fuel pump run for 2 seconds...key off...repeat 3x...then turn key to start.