Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Q. about fluids interval changes

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2020, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q. about fluids interval changes

Hello all. I ve got a quick question for you. I have a 2011 Chevy Aveo T300 that I ve never changed the coolant and the power steering fluid since I bought the car back in october 2011. My question is: do I need to change the coolant fluid and the power steering ASAP? car manual says 5 years or 250000km for coolant and for power steering can t remember. Problem is that my dad keeps saying it is not necessary to change the coolant if the freezing point test is ok. So what should I do? I d change it asap. I want my car to be in good shape, healthy and well maintained.
Thank you very much.
Also, does everyone respect the service interval recomended in the cars manual?
Ty very much.
G91Romania
Old January 7th, 2020, 5:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the freeze point may be fine but old coolant will become acidic and wreck intake gaskets. secondly corrosion inhibitors will be depleted. corrosion build up will clog the rad and heater core. Change the coolant. change your trains fluid. Power steering fluid exchange is not critical.

google pics of radiator corrosion.
Old January 7th, 2020, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the freeze point may be fine but old coolant will become acidic and wreck intake gaskets. secondly corrosion inhibitors will be depleted. corrosion build up will clog the rad and heater core. Change the coolant. change your trains fluid. Power steering fluid exchange is not critical.

google pics of radiator corrosion.

​​​​​​Uuuuwyyy!! Thanks a lot man. I understand what you have said. This is what I thought also. I mean I thought about that that stuff they put in antifreeze will loose it s properties in time. Anyway, will change it asap.
Do not know about the trans fluid. I ve got the manual trans. In cars manual says to check it every year or 15000km to see if it s above some line but in 2012 Sonics manual says that it s an enclosed fluid and doesn t need maintenance only if you got it leaking obviously. Who the f.k understand it then? Anyway. Thanks a lot man. All the best.
Old January 7th, 2020, 7:51 PM
Super Moderator

if its a manual trans your fine.
Old January 8th, 2020, 5:55 AM
CF Beginner

Ok man. Thanks a lot. Appreciate your answer. All the best!!
Old January 8th, 2020, 6:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 664 Likes on 602 Posts

What tech2 said. Also, the coolant additives protect the water pump. Without them, the pump fails quickly.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; January 8th, 2020 at 6:28 PM.
Old January 8th, 2020, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

what engine you got...1.6 has a timing belt...check the change interval.
Old January 9th, 2020, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Hey man. I ve got the 1.4L engine. the a14xer one, naturally aspirated. I do not know if it has a timing belt or wether it has a timing chain. Will check. I think it has a timing chain but I m not sure about it. Will look it up on google and change it according to the cars manual maintenance recommendations. Thanks a lot man again. I ve got the idea with old coolant in your car. Not changing it on the recommended intervals!