Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

radio removal

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2019, 7:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default radio removal

I was just wondering if anyone has run into the same problem of removing their radio from their truck. I googled it and came up with three You Tube videos that showed how to do it on my 1995 C1500 Work Truck.... It all looked pretty straight forward until I tried to duplicate the methods used ...... no luck.... and here is why.... I followed the procedure of removing the ash tray, turned the key on, foot on the brake and pulled the shift lever down to first gear.... This is where it all goes south.... all three then say to move the tilt steering down as low as possible so when you pull the front facing off the truck you can simply unplug any/all connectors and then remove the facing..... Since there is no tilt on a Work Truck model, when I pull the facing off it gets hung up on the four way flasher button, and if I force it to clear that, the back part of the facing will not come far enough forward to clear so it can be lifted out.... Has anybody "been there and done that" on a Chevy Work Truck?
Old May 8th, 2019, 9:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by professor229
I was just wondering if anyone has run into the same problem of removing their radio from their truck. I googled it and came up with three You Tube videos that showed how to do it on my 1995 C1500 Work Truck.... It all looked pretty straight forward until I tried to duplicate the methods used ...... no luck.... and here is why.... I followed the procedure of removing the ash tray, turned the key on, foot on the brake and pulled the shift lever down to first gear.... This is where it all goes south.... all three then say to move the tilt steering down as low as possible so when you pull the front facing off the truck you can simply unplug any/all connectors and then remove the facing..... Since there is no tilt on a Work Truck model, when I pull the facing off it gets hung up on the four way flasher button, and if I force it to clear that, the back part of the facing will not come far enough forward to clear so it can be lifted out.... Has anybody "been there and done that" on a Chevy Work Truck?
You need to drop the steering column down some, but not too much. There are two steel brackets holding the steering column in the cab. One near the back side of the dash and the other down near the firewall.

If I recall correctly, they are 9/16 upper & 5/8 lower nuts, but its been a long time since then, so could be mistaken about the sizes. You will have to disconnect the battery, and remove the plastic underside of the dash, below the steering column, before you do this, along with everything else you described previosly. Beware of damaging or pulling on any wires, or simply disconnect them before you try this.
Old May 9th, 2019, 5:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was hoping someone would reply with a "been there, done that" and was glad to see the reply.... although, I wish the answer indicated an easier solution.... although I knew better that to expect that I guess.... Now it comes down to a decision.... taking the time to do this for a radio problem that this, and many other GM trucks had of this generation.... something inside the radio that remains "on" that discharges the battery over a period of a day or two.... There are two fuses to the radio... one for the radio itself, and a second one for the "memory" of the radio.... the previous owner figured it out and removed the fuse for the memory and the battery discharge problem ended, but every time you start the truck, you have to re-tune from the default radio station, to what band and station you want to listen to.... annoying, but the radio itself, still works fine otherwise.... so it is a decision..... is it worth it? I might consider doing this on a rainy day this summer..... if I have the time....

But I do want to say "thanks" for taking the time to reply with what seems to be the correct answer....... I also might try one more time, to see if I can moving the facing out of the way enough to get clearance to remove the radio..... but I have already tried this once, got annoyed, pushed the facing back in place and I think I need to try this one more time.... I can live with the radio.... but it has also developed a rattle that I thought was coming from the dash facing.... it wasn't the dash facing after I installed a fix to that... the rattle is the plastic piece on the display of the radio itself... and I might just try some super glue or examine it more carefully for a fix and live with tuning the radio each time.... and yes, I am old school... and miss the days of metal dash components that were easy to install.... times have changed.... and I understood the need to get rid of metal dashes, but plastic padded dashes have just added another level of frustration..... thanks again.....