Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Random stallouts 1999 S10

Old June 14th, 2019, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random stallouts 1999 S10

Hi, this is my first post. I have experience working on cars and this has me stumped. I've owned a 1999 S10 for 2 1/2 years (manual 5 speed trans). It runs and drived great except for very occasionally, when it acts like it's out of gas after some city driving. It will start sputtering after I've been stopping and going. It always happens after I've been stopped at a light or stop sign, but never if I'm going 65 down the highway. In 2 1/2 years, this has happened to me 8 or 9 times. When this happens, I pull over and shut the engine off for 5 to 10 minutes and then I start it back up and it's fine. Then I drive it without incident for months before it happens again out of the blue.

The obvious guess is a bad fuel pump or filter, but if that was the case, wouldn't it be sputtering daily? Thanks for your help.
Old June 14th, 2019, 11:27 AM
CF Junior Member

I have had a few S10's and Blazers with the 4.3 V6 that have had broken primary wires right at the ignition coil. Not visibly broken, but broken wires inside the insulation. I just tug on the wire and it breaks off. I don't know what engine you have. 4 cylinder or V6?
Old June 14th, 2019, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

4 cyl. I figure it's an electrical problem that gets reset when I restart the truck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: