Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Really Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2013, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really Need Advice

Hey everyone. I am new here so please bare with me, and I hope that I am posting this in the right place.

99 Chevy Lumina 3.1L 200,000 miles on it.

I want to buy a new car but until I can I have to figure out this issue.

I got the car really cheap and have driven it for 3 years now, so I cannot complain that I have put money into it lately. However, I just want to figure out what the heck is wrong with it so that I can get it to stay "okay" until I can get another car.

Here are my issues which were gradual and not overnight....

Poor Idle that started slightly where it really was not a problem to now it will feel like it wants to stall or does at idle, waiting at a light, etc. And putting it into reverse puts a lot of stress on that and it sometimes stalls or really stumbles.

Check Engine light on. I checked the codes at autozone and it pulled random cylinder misfire and EGR. Check engine light started blinking and could smell the CAT. Eventually got the CAT "boared" (sp?) out and found it was really clogged up.

Slight hesitation that was barely noticeable, to now it wants to lose power to where it feels like it is not getting gas going uphill. It chugs up the hill, and when I get to the top power comes back and it is okay. But does not do this all the time, like if I get up enough speed before I get to the hill.

Always had a longer crank when starting the car since I had it. Fuel injected but I have always had to step on the gas a tiny bit when starting the car at least for the first time of the day. Now I am getting a no start condition in cold weather below 20. That is another issue though I think, not sure.

I have changed: Plugs, Wires, EGR, IAC, TPS, CamSensor, Alternator, Battery (650 cold crank, my car calls for 600). Coil Module. Coil packs tested and they tested fine. FPR (Needed because it was leaking gas into the vacuum line). Cleaned the MAF very carefully with MAF Cleaner. Cleaned the throttle body with Carb Cleaner. Got an oil change because of gas in the oil from the leaking FPR.

Checked the wire/plug connections and found out the idiot before me had 1 and 4 crossed! So fixed that when I put on the new coil module, plugs and wires. Now it doesn't "chug" as much going up hill but still rarely sometimes does. And still having idle issues and stumbling.

Please help! lol. I know it was a LONG story but there was a lot of issues and a lot that I did to it.

Thanks everyone for any advice, it would be appreciated.
Old December 29th, 2013, 3:57 PM
CF Beginner

I forgot to mention that I also changed the PCV and Tubing that goes to it, because it was broke and the PCV just crumbled in my hand.
Old January 4th, 2014, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Have you taken to have the codes read since you have done all that stuff? I would say it sounds kind of like your fuel pump is getting weak....but usually if those things are going out they just go out. but if you have checked all of your egr valves, then ya Id say it sounds to me like your fuel pump is going bad. Just a guess
Old January 10th, 2014, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

I would also check the intake gasket, the 3.1, 3.4, and 3.8 are notorious for blowing intake gaskets. Hope that helps some.