Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Recently bought firebird with 305 idle problem

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2017, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently bought firebird with 305 idle problem

I bought a 79 firebird off of Craig's list. Obviously the 301 was replaced with a Chevy v8. I was told that it was a 350 with a mild cam. The car had been sitting for the last 2yrs so I had to do the normal tuneup and maintenance. So running the block numbers to make sure I order the correct parts, find out it's an 86-87 GMC 4bbl 305 h.o. motor the head and intake numbers match with the same. It has an edelbrock carb (not sure what cfm). I ended up replacing the distributor cause the centrifical advance was locked. Got it tuned the best I could with no timing alignment marks. And been driving the car for the past week to work out any bugs. Tonight, coming home from a car show, it started idling bad and stumbling at a red light. And a miss at cruising speed 45-50 but accelerated fine. I have plenty of spark, each cylinder. Haven't checked the plugs yet, but they are new NGK platinums gapped at .35. I did try to adjust the mixture screws and only the right side stumbles when turned all the way in. So to finally get to my question. Could I have junk in the carb, or would loss of vacuum effect that, or possibly a bad plug? Is there like a tree of steps to follow? I am running straight pipes into cheap mufflers and noticed my stock manifolds are hotter than an old 79 camaro with a 350 stock manifold and flow masters I had used to be. Any suggestions would be great.. Thanks!!

Last edited by chads79bird; March 31st, 2017 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more info