Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

SBC 350 New to Engine Building

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2023, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SBC 350 New to Engine Building

Howdy!

I recently got a SBC 350 gen I, '86 - '95. It has 2 bolt mains, a roller cam, iron heads and nothing else special... Now, I am pretty much completely new to engine building but it has been something that I have wanted to do since I can remember. My current plan so far is to remove the press in studs for the heads (one is currently stripped and figured I might as well try). I know these engines can make about 200hp reving to around 4000. Ultimately my goals for this small block is to get it reving around 6000-6500 (solidly) and making about 350+.

Now the hard part, I am completely new to all of this and I'm looking to build it out with $2000 - $3000 over an extended period of time. I would like to drop a cam, bigger springs, dual sprocket timing gear/chain, maybe the holley sniper system for tuning (this will be long term), and then eventually a turbo in the absolute long run. I know stock bottom ends with this gen sit at around 8.5-9 compression ratio, so ideally I would like to leave that stock, just do a re-ring and hone job.

However, as far as timing gear, roller cam, and springs, I have no idea what to do and would love some thoughts from others. At the moment, I have about $500 - $1000 to offer on these three things (including the pioneer screw in studs for the heads). Could anyone help guide me on picking out a setup for this?

I am willing to search second hand as well.

At the end of all of this, this engine is ultimately to learn and understand new things.
Old June 6th, 2023, 9:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Hell, I'd push it to 10-10.5 compression ratio, that way it might still use regular gas. Mild cam, as if you go too far and she'll lope on you, and that ain't fun. Cloyes timing chain and sprockets, Felpro-gaskets, and seals. HP valve seals. Messing with turbo-chargers is child's play. Put a super-charger on it with an electric shift on the stick out of a two-speed truck axle. That way YOU are in full control, but you'll need to run high-octane gasoline and supercharged motors are just too cool.
The following users liked this post:
KillCode (June 7th, 2023)