Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

sbc cam

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2012, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sbc cam

is it possible to use hydraulic roller lifters W/O the link bar on a retrofit camshaft IF i have a roller block, which has the dog bones to hold lifters in place from spinning and the spider to hold it down. i just got a cam from summit and they sent the wrong one and will NOT refund my full amount. ive ran the cam with stock lifters and it runs fine but now i have a lifter ticking. i ordered a set of high performance roller lifters from summit their trickflow lifters. just wondering the motor runs fine, ive got a cloyes 2 peice cover w adjustable cam end play. so the cam wont walk on me.

just wanting to here someone else says it will work
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to take it all apart and inspect everything before deciding which way to go, you may have chewed up your cam lobes as well as the lifters. You can not use flat tappet lifters on a roller cam. The lobes on a conventional cam are slightly angled to make the lifters spin to help prevent wear by getting dragged in the same place over and over. The lobes aren't angled on a roller cam. Chances are good you mushroomed the base of your lifters, and could have wiped out some cam lobes in the process, since the lifters weren't spinning like they're supposed to.
Old May 30th, 2012, 1:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ohh im sorry, i confused you, i have a hydraulic roller cam but its a retrofit cam which fits inside a non roller block the cam nose is machined different for a cam button and lock plate, just like a flat tappet cam, but i was using hydraulic roller lifters but i didnt know if i needed a link bar set up.
i have a roller block roller cam and roller lifters, but i didnt know if i NEEDED the link bar lifters or not