Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

283 SBC rebuild help.

Old April 13th, 2006, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 283 SBC rebuild help.

Hello everyone. Brand spankin newbie here needing some advice on my project.

My friend has a 1963 Impala with a 283 SB. We are in the process of completely rebuilding it. We are doing the motor ourselfves and having a University shop do the body. Anyway, I have gotten some parts for the engine but decided to get advice from experts so here it goes....

Here is what I ordered, please tell me good/bad/ugly idea.

Roller rockers extruded aluminum
Solid flat lifters
Dome pistons +6 cc
305 58cc heads
Rods (rated at 800hp)
Stock forged crank sent to get ballanced/turned
Camshaft 3000-6500 rpm range , 0.510/0.510 VL , Duration @50 244/244 , 108deg center lobe.
High stall TC
550 Holley
Edlebrock performer intake
Headers
4.11 gears

Now I read that the 283 is good for high revving with the small stroke but also read that a lift over 0.460 was useless with the restricting heads. I got the 305 heads for the small chamber and will have 10.1 compression. I have not rebuilt a chevy since the 80s and have never attempted to use race parts on one. I am not a beginner mechanic having turboed and rebuilt several imports recently. I am pressed for time since the body shop requires a running vehicle to work on it and they will close soon.

Here is what I am confused on...

What distributer should I get and what springs for timing should I use?
Will the crank handle 8k rpm?
With the NON forged pistons, I am going to use 75-150 shot NOS...too much? not enough?

Thanks guys in advance.
Old July 14th, 2011, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default 283talk

Hi, what u really should do is match the rpm range of everything, that will make it run soooo much better, think about what u are going to do with it drive,drag,cruise,etc.The next thing is u can just about buy a new set of after mkt heads matched to the cam profile u have, and right out the box run a bunch better than the heads u r taking to have redone for close to the same money,and then if u really want it to run good, have it internally ballanced. C.P.
Old July 15th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cukali
Hello everyone. Brand spankin newbie here needing some advice on my project.

My friend has a 1963 Impala with a 283 SB. We are in the process of completely rebuilding it. We are doing the motor ourselfves and having a University shop do the body. Anyway, I have gotten some parts for the engine but decided to get advice from experts so here it goes....

Here is what I ordered, please tell me good/bad/ugly idea.

Roller rockers extruded aluminum
Solid flat lifters
Dome pistons +6 cc
305 58cc heads
Rods (rated at 800hp)
Stock forged crank sent to get ballanced/turned
Camshaft 3000-6500 rpm range , 0.510/0.510 VL , Duration @50 244/244 , 108deg center lobe.
High stall TC
550 Holley
Edlebrock performer intake
Headers
4.11 gears

Now I read that the 283 is good for high revving with the small stroke but also read that a lift over 0.460 was useless with the restricting heads. I got the 305 heads for the small chamber and will have 10.1 compression. I have not rebuilt a chevy since the 80s and have never attempted to use race parts on one. I am not a beginner mechanic having turboed and rebuilt several imports recently. I am pressed for time since the body shop requires a running vehicle to work on it and they will close soon.

Here is what I am confused on...

What distributer should I get and what springs for timing should I use?
Will the crank handle 8k rpm?
With the NON forged pistons, I am going to use 75-150 shot NOS...too much? not enough?

Thanks guys in advance.

I guess(I don't remember anymore the bore size) that bore size "could be" only 10.1 C/R.But it does sound low for a +6 dome with a 58cc head.I(we) would need more details as to who's parts you are ordering,what brand name etc,bore size,head gasket compressed size,etc-so a static compression ratio can be determined.What is the intended use??.With a 283 you want to compliment it's need for high RPM and then because of that,you would want a solid roller cam,not a flat tappet.The 305 heads are a bad choice for a high RPM engine.They don't flow well enough towards the high end.

But before we get into much,post those details about the parts so we can see what is what.OK??.
Old July 16th, 2011, 2:44 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Great engine that 283! I had one in my 57 Bel Air. I'd say using nitrous is fine, however without forge pistons, that is going to be the weak link. If you want to play hard, you're going to have to pay hard.
Old July 16th, 2011, 7:14 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

I do not recommend spraying on unknown parts.Those systems especially on higher RPM ranges need the support systems.Please post more detail on the parts build so we can determine the combo you have.

This isn't to post a argumentative reply.