Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Scrap, repair or build?

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2019, 1:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrap, repair or build?

Hi all,

I recently picked up a rare early big block - well worth saving if its possible.

Apparently, it came out of a can am racecar for a routine refresh, and had been running perfectly fine when it was pulled.

During rebuild, the mechanic noticed damage to #4 main, so they put it on the shelf and built a new block as 'they had half a dozen sat around at any one time, and didn't want to chance reliability on the race car'

40 years later.. Ive bought this block of that same shelf.. it's got loads of surface rust and needs machining, but is potentially usable except for this damage..

The old chap assures me its usable, or he would have thrown it.. but I'd welcome other opinions?

Damage between crank and cam journal- it has never spun a bearing (original half is still in cap) and shows no other damage...

Many thanks for your thoughts?

Old October 27th, 2020, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would repair it. I was once looking for a similar part for my own vehicle. I managed to find it only at https://www.scrapi.com/blog/how-do-i-scrap-a-car and it wasn't in such a good condition as the one you presented on the picture. My advice is to repair it and install it on your car. The main advantage of these one is that they had been made for race cars and are calculated to withstand huge overloads, such you wouldn't create in regular traffic. Therefore, once repaired this block will serve you for ages.

Last edited by trueevan; October 28th, 2020 at 2:26 PM.