Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Sensors resetting

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2018, 3:08 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sensors resetting

Own 2014 Chevy Spark. Replaced battery early January. Took car in for inspection and told the car passed, but they could not issue new sticker. Told the reason was that because battery died, the cars sensors have to reset. I would have thought in a period of almost 7 weeks that would have happened. However, was told to put about 100 mile on it at one time, that should do it. It didn't, and told to continue to drive it. So in 4 days, over 200 miles and still not reset, and they stated there is no problems with sensors. They told me that the states computer system will not let them issue sticker until reset. Now that the sticker is overdue, I'm told to just tell the police the car passed, but the states system won't allow to issue until reset and that's what we're waiting for. But also told by dealer that some cars are more stubborn than others. That it could be a few weeks or months before they reset. I have never heard of this, but can almost say I am 100% correct that no police officer is going to give a damn and issue a ticket. Could use any info on what to do.
Old March 4th, 2018, 12:17 PM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

See if you can get something in writing from the inspection place to reflect what they told you.
Old March 4th, 2018, 1:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

to clarify, the inspection/maitenance monitors have not run.
the system runs as such; a task manager (programming that schedule when a test runs) runs a monitor...if the test runs and passes...the system is working normally. if the monitor test fails, a dtc is set and a check engine light comes on. depending on vehicle build; there can be 9 or more monitors.
the monitors status will show:
passed...when they have run and passed
fail...when they run and fail
not complete....when the battery is disconnected or codes cleared and the monitors have not met the conditions for the task manager to run the test. When they are incomplete, state emissions are not given as they can't say the system is running as designed.

evap monitors are temp dependant...they will not run in the winter as its to cold. Most states allow an exception for this one monitor.

Find out which monitors have not run and post them here.