Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

"Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2021 | 12:30 PM
J C
CF Beginner

Default I have a 2016 cruze Lt

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello derrickjaxn,

I certainly understand how frustrating out of pocket expenses can be and I'd like to apologize for the trouble you're experiencing with your 2012 Cruze. We'd like to look more into this and work with your dealership toward a possible resolution. Feel free to send your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership in a private message.

We are looking forward to your message.

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care
I’m having the same issue only when the temps drop. The battery is new I assume since it’s a certified used car from Chevy, but when it gets freezing cold it won’t start and I need a jump. The service theft deterrent system started popping up after a jump periodically

Old August 7th, 2021 | 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default Service theft deterrent system

I have a 2018 Chevrolet Malibu 1.5L She does not start anymore because she took a lot of water What are the solutions
Old September 25th, 2021 | 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Rebuilt Module

Hello, Thanks a lot for all the helpful info you provided. You mentioned that you got a rebuilt module for $149 that solved your issue. Do you have any contact info from where you purchases that?? Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Dragnfyr
Thanks!!

Quote:

GM started installing theft control modules in the 90s. My 1999 Suburban had the same issue. It turns out that these modules have an issue with heat killing them. My module was no longer available from GM, but I found someone online that repaired them. All I needed to do was the key relearn process to program it. It is a known issue and has been for decades. No sign that GM is even thinking about addressing it.
Drag

Thank you for the information and, this makes sense the day it did that last was a really super humid day out. All was fine for a little over 2 weeks and, I started it up today and, it did it again. I turned off my car for a minute and it started right up. Don’t know what the issue was today it was cool out but, it did rain last night. This issue is so intermittent for me that I don’t know if it will ever be fixed. I’m going to try to do the key relearn procedure and see what happens. I’m going to call the dealership I know their just going to tell me to bring it back in. I don’t know if they’ll be able to figure it out bc, it’s so intermittent. The dealership initially told me it was a dirty ground that they cleaned up. All was fine for 10 days and, then it did it again. I highly doubt it was the ground that they said it was. This is beyond frustrating and, GM really needs to address this issue bc, it’s been going on for years.
Melissa Randazzo

No problem... If they just scan the engine codes, they will never find it, it is a fault in the security system of the car... What it was doing (on my car) was that it would turn off the injector circuit if it didn't recognize the key correctly. The module for my car was $275 from Chevrolet before they discontinued the part from their inventory. A rebuilt one today is available for my truck at $149 (https://www.ebay.com/usr/pro-rebuild). A module to disable the pass-lock entirely (https://newrockies.com/passlock-bypass-2/) is $259. I just installed the rebuilt module, did the key relearn and BAMM it was fixed... AND it had a lifetime warranty.

Drag
Old November 24th, 2021 | 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

This method is draining the stored power that keeps the OnStar module powered even if vehicle was stolen and battery disconnected?? That's my only thought as to why that would work

Originally Posted by atex33
This should work for almost all newer models such as the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, Sierra, Silverado, etc. My 2007 Silverado truck would not start after buying a new battery and the message center was telling me "Service Theft Deterrent System". I tried just about everything, searching online, reading the manual, unhooking the battery, but did not get it figured out until the tow truck driver showed me. All you need to do to reset the system is unhook your battery, hold both the positive and negative terminals together, where they are touching and hold them together for 45-60 sec. Hook them back up and she cranked right up! It's crazy something so easy to do worked after a few days of wondering how much this was going to cost me! Can't beat FREE! Hope I can help someone because I couldn't find this solution on the internet and I know I'm not the only one this has happened too!
Old January 4th, 2022 | 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Service Theft Deterrent System

Good evening
I have a 2017 Chevy Trax punch button start SUV. I have a message on the dash that said service theft deterrent system. Which is making it hard to start the SUV I have to wait for the dash display to clear. Then I have to hold the punch button start for 12 seconds to start the SUV. I have disconnected the battery in order to clear the message and it didn't work.
Old January 27th, 2022 | 7:40 AM
CF Beginner

GM and the good ol' pin tension issues

Old January 28th, 2022 | 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Theft deterrent and computer software programs

I've had this problem on 98 k1500 with 5.7 vortex and it was a pain. The 30 min program works, but I ended up with other issues do to this malfunctioning. Only thing this system has done has detoured me from ever getting another Chevy. Between this and my son's truck problems Chevy we will not buy no more. All vehicles have there issues. It's that GM has had this problem with all of there theft deterrent systems and they still kept using them. This has been same problem ur after yr. And GM fails to stand behind there vehicles I found out on my son's truck. Which cost him a motor on 2018 and I found the problem he had after looking threw several pages on truck forum it has been going on at least since 14 was oldest one I found , but I also quit looking cause I went threw several pages of complaints of same thing. His was starter engaged while he was going down road at about 70 mph. I seen everything from that to staying engaged 2 to 5 minutes when started. As a mechanic on diesels, cars, and motorcycles for going on 30 yrs now this is crazy they put there products out there with same issues yr after yr. When talking with GM head qaurters they came back with they would not give me the info of who makes the computer and software program for them, which is AC Delco subsidiary company of there's and offered nothing in the repair of it. I believe they should have gave him new motor do to there neglect of fixing such problem that could have caused serious injury to a person or persons. I'm a diesel person Im taking Chevy motor out and putting 5.9 2 gen Cummins in mine. Good luck with your Chevy vehicle never will my son or me purchase another GM product.. wish you all the best if I still have it I will post the info on who does there computer systems and software on here for anyone that needs it.
Old February 6th, 2022 | 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default Car won’t start theft deterrent system alarm

My car is randomly not starting and out gives me a service theft deterrent system alarm! I try 3 times to start and pull my key out and put it back and it will start! I’ve replaced the battery on the key fob, had the battery checked and it’s at 100%. It doesn’t do it all the time maybe just twice out of starting the car 5 times a day?
Old March 11th, 2022 | 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Exclamation service theft system, starter disabled

I have a 2005 chevy uplander that has a remote start key fob. the van stopped starting. neither fob or keys worked. displayed remote start disabled, then I tried the keys. didnrt work, said starter disabled. my van was dead in the water. I called the local checy dealer service department, he said had a same problem before and and took 6-8 hours labor costs and only partially fixed it. said that GM didnt know the fix. \
I removed battery cables from battery, hooked up alternate power source, i.e. the battery charger/jumper. started right up. this cleared and reset the anti theft system. both the keys and fob worked. er, after reconnecting battery.
Old April 19th, 2022 | 10:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default Am having same issue 2019 chevy Malibu theft deterrent system am in-need of help

Am having same issue 2019 chevy Malibu theft deterrent system am in-need of help

Quick Reply: "Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery