Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Setting up for trailering

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2018, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up for trailering

Hello everyone, I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 LT 6.5 bed 4 x 4 crew cab with a 5.3L V8. I would like to invest in a travel trailer for family outings. I would like to know what modifications I can do to set my truck up to safely tow a travel trailer. Suspect the dry weight of the trailer I will buy will need to be around 5000 lbs or so to stay within the limts for the truck when the trailer and truck are both loaded. But I am not sure about my trucks stock suspension, sway bars, stabilizers....Things like that. I know virtually nothing about towing. I have read about tongue weight and and have seen things about weight distribution hitches. But not sure what my truck has and what it needs to have added. I have a stock hitch. Not even sure what class it is.

I am am in the military and I am overseas without my vehicle right now, so I can’t get my window sticker to look up what trailer package or add ons for towing that it had when I bought it. . I do have my vin number, so I can do general vin look up. I can attach it if needed.

I guess I am looking to find out what add ons would be a good idea. I know I need tow mirrors, but that is about it. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Last edited by diamond448; November 10th, 2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Edited to clarify what information I am looking to obtain.