Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Should I restore?

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2016, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I restore?

I'll try to keep this short and simple: In January I bought a truck with the idea to restore it, so far I haven't done a whole lot as I've started a new job, had college, a new girlfriend, another truck to fix, and I turned 21 in May so the beer has been flowing at rates I never knew possible xD anyway... I'm finally going to consistently have enough time to set aside to at least start on the truck and I've got a good paying while currently living at home so I don't have very many expenses. Overall I fear this may be one of my best chances to really sink my teeth into a project like this before life really gets going, I'm just not sure because others (non car people) have told me don't bother. I've never done a total restoration, only two partials and lots of general repairs, you've got to start somewhere. I still regret selling another old truck I had and fear I might again... In essence I'm looking for either a new perspective, advice, support or arguments against, etc. It's work I enjoy doing and I have the free time to do it as well as the means, but being my first resto I'm a little hesitant to really get started on it.

1972 Chevy C20, 86' 350 crate motor, 89' 700R trans,
Old June 22nd, 2016, 8:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

post some pics

It is a good learning experience

Last edited by tech2; June 22nd, 2016 at 8:13 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 11:28 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

How bad is the body? Is there a lot of rust? If the body is in good shape then it is worth the effort. If you have to do all the body work then it probably is not worth it or you won't get the return if and when you want to sell it.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 1:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At your age, it may be difficult to understand how much pride and accomplishment a restoration project offers.

Take the high road !