Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Small block valve lash

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2017, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small block valve lash

Hi guys new to the forum i know there's probly afew threads on this but I couldn't find anything to help my situation,

i have a 350 sbc i got the engine its got a unknown cam and afew other goodies i want to set valve lash but i dont know if ive got solid or hydrolic lifters whats the best way to check or set valve lash without knowing this
Old September 24th, 2017, 3:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Telescoping magnet, pull a push rod out, drop the magnet in the hole, remove lifter. Go from there. Valve lash is always the same, BUT with hydraulic lifters you really need them expanded. I used to have a sbc valve cover cut open, and would adjust back lash with the engine running
Old September 24th, 2017, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea ive ajusted it running before but thought id ask the question, adjusting it running ya just loosen it off til it ticks then do the nut up till the ticking stops plus quarter of a turn that correct?

might have to get the get and old rocker to cover to cut open 👌
Old September 24th, 2017, 8:10 PM
CF Monarch

I'd suggest since you are doing it the "old fashion way", tighten them till they stop ticking, leave it at that.
\
Old September 24th, 2017, 8:11 PM
CF Monarch

Should add, just till they stop ticking