Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

So, my 98 Tahoe doesn't shift past neutral.

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2016, 10:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, my 98 Tahoe doesn't shift past neutral.

I've given it liquid. I've adjusted the transmission cable to arm, it functions properly. Even from the bottom it will put the truck in drive, but the truck just won't go. In stumped. At first the cable are was falling off because the grommet came off. Fixed that. I did the cable adjustment and now it at least shows when it's in drive, reverse, or neutral, but I should note, the only neutral works. Reverse isn't when the gauge says its in reverse. Sometimes it shifts into drive. It won't show it on the gauge, but the truck will move.

I'm ****ing at a loss. I'm figuring things out as I go as this is my first vehicle. Any help? Please. Desperate college student who needs this thing to run!

Also, even when manually shifting the arm that the cable connects to out of transmission, the truck will basically stay in neutral. I've gotten most of my info from you guys. So hopefully you can help! Before I did cable adjustment the light wouldn't even come on when changing gears.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 12:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I hate to say it, but it's probably an issue with the parking mechanism. I had basically the same thing on my 96 lumina.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I hate to say it, but it's probably an issue with the parking mechanism. I had basically the same thing on my 96 lumina.

So how did you fix it? Was it costly? I got it into drive this morning although the gauge didn't reflect that it was in drive. It won't show past neutral. But I was able to get it into the driveway from the street.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 3:07 PM
CF Monarch

Took it to a transmission shop, overhauled it (at 185K). You (with help) can rule out the cable. Put it in neutral, unhook the cable, start it up, and have someone shift it in drive. Not recommending it, but that's what I would do.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Took it to a transmission shop, overhauled it (at 185K). You (with help) can rule out the cable. Put it in neutral, unhook the cable, start it up, and have someone shift it in drive. Not recommending it, but that's what I would do.

I've done this and it does seem to work. Sometimes. The arm is a little loose I've tightened it but it's hit or miss. This was before transmission fluid.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 4:05 PM
CF Monarch

Replace the shifter arm, see if that works. I still have a minor issue with my shift cable.
Old September 26th, 2016, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

might be the the little pin that actually shifts the gears, you might of put it in park and let off the break to fast and the weight might of bent the pin, easy to replace if you dont minf getting a bit dirty