Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Speedo broken 65 Impala - cable gear?

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2022, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speedo broken 65 Impala - cable gear?

Hi all,
a bit of detective work needed for my 65 Impala fastback. 283ci V8 (actually a 67 motor) and with a Turbo 350 trans (not standard). Its been in the shop undergoing a resto for several years and is finally nearing the end. On test driving, the speedo malfunctioned and went high (reading 80mph when actually doing half that) then went to the dial edge and stayed there. We pulled out the dash and put in a replacement speedo (same era, not new). Both speedos were tested on the bench with a drill prior to installation. We sprayed WD40 into both, which I subsequently learned can cause problems with fouling the gauge magnets. Basically, the speedos both worked on the bench but seized once installed. And we are getting tired of pulling out the dash. Question for you all. Apart from the gauges, which we are trying to fix, is there a possibility the cable, but more specifically the cable gearing to the driveshaft/trans plays a role. Would the non standard turbo 350 trans be causing it? What gear/cable set up to use in such circumstances? My mate thinks the cable is okay. I am starting to think the cable gearing at the base may be a culprit. Because speedos typically don’t break that often. D
Old July 3rd, 2022, 7:25 AM
CF Monarch

Received 354 Likes on 335 Posts

Welcome from Florida. Since you have a Turbo 350 transmission which probably replaced a Powerglide it is very likely that the gear in the transmission is not the correct ratio for the gauge.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (July 3rd, 2022)