Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

spongy brakes

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2009, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spongy brakes

Can anyone help me i just bought a 97 4.3 chev truck with the motor gone , i got here up and running i had to put a right front caliber on it and a new masin brake line. Problem is a low soft spongy brake, bleed several times adjusted the brakes servuiced the calibers but no luck. I followed the procedure for bleeding starting with the right rear wheel but no luck. Someone said where its abs that you need a tech 11 to bleed it is there any other way. You can stop the truck but its just really spongy.
Old October 30th, 2009, 7:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you opened the system after the ABS module (like a line replacement) you shouldn't have a problem with normal bleeding procedures. It's when you get into it before the ABS it can get tricky on some models, but not all. Check your master brake cylinder for fluid leaks or peeling paint where it bolts onto the booster. If you don't see leaks in any of the lines or components the master brake cylinder may have taken a dump. Did you let some brake fluid drip from each wheel bleeder valve before closing it off? Sometimes closing them off while still having vacuum applied to them traps an air bubble.