Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Squealing but not the belt

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2019, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing but not the belt

So I have a 2000 silhouette with the 3400 that is squealing when I accelerate. I assumed it was the belt, so I ordered a new one. When I took the old belt off, I started it up and hit the accelerator. It still squeals with no belt. Any idea what could cause a squealing sound other than the belt/pullies?
Old May 14th, 2019, 8:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by M_metzger1114
So I have a 2000 silhouette with the 3400 that is squealing when I accelerate. I assumed it was the belt, so I ordered a new one. When I took the old belt off, I started it up and hit the accelerator. It still squeals with no belt. Any idea what could cause a squealing sound other than the belt/pullies?
A squealing sound would likely be caused by lack of lubrication, or slippage of some kind, as in friction. Could this possibly be a whistling sound at all?
Old May 14th, 2019, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
A squealing sound would likely be caused by lack of lubrication, or slippage of some kind, as in friction. Could this possibly be a whistling sound at all?
Could lack of lubrication possibly be caused by being passed due for an oil change? What could be slipping if it's not the belt? And I suppose it could be a whistle. What are your thoughts on that?
Old May 15th, 2019, 1:28 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by M_metzger1114
Could lack of lubrication possibly be caused by being passed due for an oil change? What could be slipping if it's not the belt? And I suppose it could be a whistle. What are your thoughts on that?
Well, I absolutely know that oil changes must/should be done on time (which varies depending on the kind of driving you do). Lots of stop-and-go, 4x4 driving, and/or lots of dirt and/or dust require more frequent oil and filter changes. But as long as your motor has oil on the dipstick, that would quite likely rule out the engine itself as a probable cause of this noise.

My guess at this point in time is that you might have a vacuum leak somewhere since, with the belt off the vehicle, it could not be the power-steering, assuming you have the older hydraulic power steering system, and not the new electronic steering system, of course. It could also be from something that is under some kind of pressure as well, of course.