Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Starter

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2023, 3:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Starter

Old school thinking here. Have I got this right? 1995 4.3 and when I turn the key, the starter motor turns for maybe a second, then there is a lull where it really slows down for a split second and then turns again and the motor starts. In the old days we blamed it on a "flat spot" on the solenoid. I replaced the battery and the problem still exists so it wasn't a weak battery. I also cleaned the connections at the battery but they weren't bad at all. Can I just replace the solenoid? Has anybody bought a remanufactured starter and can you tell me how to shim one if needed and how do I determine that? Any thoughts are appreciated. And PS... This has been going on for about five years now and only once did I turn the key and got "nothing" and then repeated and got a pretty good spin, hesitate, good spin... It pulls my boat trailer five miles and back from the lake so if it does fail, I will call AAA and have it dropped off at the side of my driveway. I am just looking for options and ideas.
Old March 8th, 2023, 11:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

I would say worn starter brushes, not the solenoid; not too hard to do a rebuild at home
Old March 9th, 2023, 8:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

start with the existing shim...if no problems on engagement you're good. add or remove shim depending on whether is clashes on engagement or disengagement.