Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Starter Motor or just the solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2006, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Motor or just the solenoid?

Hi guys,

I am a newbie to this site, but from what I have seen so far, it is very cool. I have a question about my 1997 Tahoe 5.7 liter 4x4. It seems to not want to start (especially when it is cold). When I turn the key it makes a single click which sounds like the starter solenoid is engaging but then nothing. No cranking. After I try this several times (sometimes 2 times, sometimes 8-10), it will begin to crank over very slowly, then catch and start. Has anybody experienced a similar problem? What do you think it might be - the starter or the solenoid or both? BTW, I have replaced the battery in May with an Optima red top, and I replaced the alternator about 9-10 months ago. This problem began intermittently just before the summer, and I had the ignition system checked and they gave me a green light for the battery, alternator, and starter. But not the problem is getting worse and I want to fix it. What do you think?

Thanks for your help,

Rod
Old October 21st, 2006, 4:17 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Starter Motor or just the solenoid?

The solenoid and the starter should be removed as a unit to replace either one, it is a common practice to replace both items anytime that there is trouble with either one, especially if there are a lot of miles on the vehicle.

You can remove the starter/solenoid assembly and take it into an autopart's store like Autozone and they can diagnose it for you on the bench before you buy a new one.

Hope this helps and welcome.

Dave
Old October 21st, 2006, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Starter Motor or just the solenoid?

Dave,

That's a good point about replcing them both. They both do have considerable mileage (both original to the truck). So maybe I'll replace the set.

Thanks,

Rod