Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Starter won't engage

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2014, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter won't engage

Hello I have a 1999 Chevy k1500 and I can't get my starter to engage. I tried hitting the starter, tightening up the battery cables. Any help would help me greatly

Last edited by Aaron.mill; October 28th, 2014 at 2:59 PM.
Old October 28th, 2014, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Won't engage as in you hear clicking or nothing happens at all?? Or the plunger activates and/or the motor spins, but it won't engage the flywheel??

It is difficult to say where the problem lies, but there aren't a lot of parts in between. A new starter may be in the forecast. Good luck!
Old October 29th, 2014, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canakin
Won't engage as in you hear clicking or nothing happens at all?? Or the plunger activates and/or the motor spins, but it won't engage the flywheel??

It is difficult to say where the problem lies, but there aren't a lot of parts in between. A new starter may be in the forecast. Good luck!

The plunger comes out but won't engage the fly wheel
Old October 30th, 2014, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

By coming out, I presume you mean it is trying to engage but possibly grinding or spinning freely all together. There are several possibilities, here are a few:

-If it is an aftermarket starter, I personally, have had issues with it lining up correctly to the flywheel. A switch back to the OEM starter and I was good.

-There are missing teeth on the flywheel/flex plate. If this is the case, you either have to manually rotate to a spot where it can engage (would be quite a pain to do routinely) or replace it all together.

-Starter could just be old and worn. Those gears are soft and they take a beating over time and may just need to be replaced.

-Some of the teeth on the flywheel/flex plate may be worn, deformed, or rounded. You can manually rotate little by little and file/grind the teeth edges back to smooth to allow easier engagement. Make sure you are rotating in the same direction the engine operates.

A few ideas. Good luck!
Old October 30th, 2014, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

My starter was missing one bolt and the other was loose. It wasn't engaging.