Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Starting/charging problems?

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2011, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting, charging problems

This seems to becoming a never ending soap opera.
To and from work, running around, errands, start, stop, turn off engine, restart engine, etc. No problems.
Back to work, park van sits about 4 hours.
Tried to start, engine does about two or three seconds of crank, and back to square one. Will not turn over.
Fortunately I work for a school transportation center with the maintenance center right there. A mechanic helped get the G10 jumped. He listened as I tried to crank. His synopsis was the problem is not the solenoid. What I am hearing is not a solenoid clicking. The starter does not have enough to turn the engine over (I think he called it stumbling).
With a boost, the engine kicked over. At his request, I turned the engine off, and then restarted without a boost right away..
"Recheck battery, and check alternator with load on (battery?).
Oi vey
Skysarge
Old October 13th, 2011, 8:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Skysarge
Oi vey
Skysarge
Buy a Ford
Old October 14th, 2011, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Starting/charging problems

And, hopefully, with the addition of a new battery (the one that read OK a couple of weeks ago now read bad) this problem is solved.
Ran an errand, luckily had the replacement bty with me. Decided to leave engine run for the few minutes I would be there so as not to have to chance a no start.
Choke (?) bogged up on me and I could not keep engine running, and of course it wold not crank.
Borrow a crescent wrench, and out with the old and in with the new which held as I cranked for a bit until engine fired.
Keeping fingers crossed, holding breath, not walking under ladders, and keeping am eye out for black cats. And, hopefully bringing this saga to an end.
Next up the choke which hopefully a thorough cleaning will take care of.
A great many thanks to all who offered suggestions. Your help was immeasurable.
Oh, as for the suggestion I get a Ford...This is the second Chevy I ever owned. My father worked for FoMoCo.

Skysarge