Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

tailgate cable failure

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2006, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tailgate cable failure

both tailgate retaining cables on my 96 S10 snapped. the metal was rusted, the cables frayed, and without warning deteriorated. i noticed a recall issue for the same problem with silverados but not for S10.
aside from replacing the cables, which requires special tools and is not consumer friendly, any advice on how to repair existing break? can they effectively be welded back together?
thanks, redtop
Old July 27th, 2006, 7:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tailgate cable failure

Your best bet is to replace them. You shouldn't need any special tools to replace them. At most you may need a torqs bit.
Old July 27th, 2006, 7:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: tailgate cable failure

Have fun replacing them. They are a real pain in the neck. One of mine broke on my sonoma. I really didn't even know they broke because I was looking at it and the other cable was tight but this one wasn't so I go to push on it and all that was holding it together was the rubber outside.

Your best bet is to just replace the whole thing than to try and weld it together or whatever you were talking about. Your going to need to pull the tailgate handle out and pop the clips off the rods and then upbolt the cable/latch assembly on the end and pull everything out. I dred having to do mine but it's got to be done.