Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Th400

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2010, 5:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not find someone to just to beef up a C6 trans.. would be a hole lot easer..
Old September 24th, 2010, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, starting to get to the point of the rebuild of needing to figure out what tranny to run.
I have a 4r100, valvebody and 2600 stall. This tranny has OD, don't really care for the OD due to it being a mud only truck this go around, and dropping weight anywere possible.
Planning on swapping to a Th400 due to weight. The 4r100 is around the 275lb range while I believe you can get a Th400 around the 125lb range, does that sound right?

Originally Posted by desrtrat
why not find someone to just to beef up a C6 trans.. would be a hole lot easer..
well a c-6 won't bolt to a 5.4 or I would. I have one behind a 429 and I love c-6's there tuff stuff. Plus I feel like the aftermarket is alot bigger for a Th400.

Also what Hp/tq are Th400's good for stock, I know I'll have to get one built I plan on being in the 600/700 area.

I've read theres a 4" tailshaft and a 9" tailshaft is this true? If so are the chevy Th400 the 4"

Thanks
Old October 4th, 2010, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Wow noone?

Well I also figured out the Tq and weight is what kills them, for the bar minimum of an upgraded input shaft.

I guess I'll have to search the net for the rest of some of my answers

Include anything about a th400 I might need to know.

Thanks
Old January 6th, 2011, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

Just wondering whats the best chevy forums out there for best answers and knowledge?

preferably the High HP 454 motor builds with TH400's
Old January 6th, 2011, 8:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how is this 400 going to bolt up to a Modular 5.4? If you get an adapter plate built, I still dont see why you dont use a C6. Unless you re supercharging this 5.4 I dont see how you can overwhelm the C6 nor the 4R100.

And I dont think the 400 is that light, maybe you re thinking about the 200-4R. The 400 has a steel center support which is what makes it able to deal with heavy torque applications. But then again, there is just as much over the counter stuff on the C6 as there is for the TH400?
Old January 7th, 2011, 8:04 PM
CF Veteran

And even more as I forgot to mention. How do you plan on shifting this TH400? Those older transmissions need a throttle valve lever to mount to the carburetor or TBI assembly to determine shift points. The 5.4 has an electronic throttle sensor, so how do you plan on shifting the transmission IF you could get it connected?

That 4R100 doesnt sound that bad does it, especially when its derived from the C6.
Old January 9th, 2011, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RacerX
how is this 400 going to bolt up to a Modular 5.4? If you get an adapter plate built, I plan on using the JW Ultra Bell http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGd...ellhousing.htm
I still dont see why you dont use a C6. I love the aftermarket of the th400

Unless you re supercharging this 5.4 I dont see how you can overwhelm the C6 nor the 4R100.

I am,

And I dont think the 400 is that light, maybe you re thinking about the 200-4R. The 400 has a steel center support which is what makes it able to deal with heavy torque applications.???? Crossmember? I plan on making all different crossmembers for the tranny and transfer case
But then again, there is just as much over the counter stuff on the C6 as there is for the TH400?
Originally Posted by RacerX
And even more as I forgot to mention. How do you plan on shifting this TH400? I'm still learning on these trannys but, reverse manual valve body... What is an electric kick down?Those older transmissions need a throttle valve lever to mount to the carburetor or TBI assembly to determine shift points. The 5.4 has an electronic throttle sensor, so how do you plan on shifting the transmission IF you could get it connected? Plans are a BS3
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...SRQtZLJjhik75A

That 4R100 doesnt sound that bad does it, especially when its derived from the C6.
The 4r100 is not out of the quetion, and will probably be a back up, but It's always nice having other options.

also looking at http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...s8ukqN3m6qCO2A

and

http://www.artcarr.com/

deep aluminum pans for extra fluid and cooling

thanks for replying
Old January 9th, 2011, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

i'm Looking at around 550 to the rear wheels boost only, with probably a 100 shot

and I havent figured out if I'm gonna run a 2x4 or 4x4 case yet. I know theres the short tailshaft (4") and the long(9") also even saw there maybe a 13" ?

and if I go with a 4x4 unit, i'll get a Np203 adaptor for dual cases
Old January 9th, 2011, 6:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harley9703
and if I go with a 4x4 unit, i'll get a Np203 adaptor for dual cases
why would u need duel tcases?? only reason i see you needing it is for rock crawling anything else its rather a waste of money
Old January 9th, 2011, 7:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by harley9703
The 4r100 is not out of the quetion, and will probably be a back up, but It's always nice having other options.

also looking at http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...s8ukqN3m6qCO2A

and

http://www.artcarr.com/

deep aluminum pans for extra fluid and cooling

thanks for replying
Yep, I read the manual today, the TH400 doesnt have a TV lever but it has an electric downshift detent switch(the kick down)-forces a downshift on full throttle. I dont know how you would wire that or how that get powered. There has to be some ground switch connected to the butterfly or something. What gets me is the 700R4 and how the intermediate band applies during 2 and 4th Gear. Odd. 700 is the same as the 400 but with an OD gear.

When I said steel center support I meant inside the case where the direct drive clutch sits. Thats why you can do things to a TH400 you could NEVER do to a TF727. This is good ol' American engineering where the TH400 was stock in everything from the Cadillac to the Kodiak to the Rolls Royce. Short tailshaft was for high cubed motor with short wheelbase(Vettes and Jags XJ12s, Ferrari 400s), likewise for long tailshaft.

But tell me, could you fabricate a steel input shaft for the 4R100s. I hear that is the sole reason they dont perform well in high torque apps. Actually I heard that about the AOD but its as question worth asking.

Quick Reply: Th400