Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

ticking or rattle noise tranny?

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2007, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking or rattle noise tranny?

I've had the truck since new, 4x4 rarely offroad, babied truck, it has 163,000 miles on it 80%highway. Keep maintenance up regularly. I have a noise I can't determine where it's coming from to see if it's a driveline issue or a tranny issue or? The really strange part is it really only does it when it's cold, in AZ where I live it's been in the high 20's at night and that's when it started.

When it first started it was a loud rattling noise and not continuous, in a few days it's doing the following.

What it's doing now, around 2000 rpms, around 2nd and 3rd gears (automatic) it has a noise that sounds like a chirping or clicking and speeds up with rpms but goes away at higher rpms. I put it on stands and was able to recreate the noise and it sounds like it's coming from the drive shaft about 6 inches from the ujoint. I know that the driveshaft acts like a tuning fork and determining where the noise is coming from may be hard.

any ideas?