Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Timing belt conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2021, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt conversion questions

I just bought a timing belt conversion for my 350. And I have a question. Do I need to put a time cover on it? It doesn't come with one. And looking online the cover that would fit the kit with the tensioner cost as much as the item I just got. Can I mod a regular cover to fit over the tensioner? Please help I'm totally lost here. Thanks
Old January 26th, 2021, 10:48 AM
CF Monarch

Received 354 Likes on 335 Posts

Yes you need a cover. you don't want anything to get in there and throw the timing off and possibly damage the components.
Old January 26th, 2021, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 214 Likes on 188 Posts

Just curious the benefit of a conversion. I assume the old one was a chain??
Thanks!
Old January 26th, 2021, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

This is my first engine build. I have a 73 Corvette that unfortunately was never loved. It was a factory 454, somewhere along the line. A past owner swapped it with a lame 307. I bought the car in 2005 drove it for a week and decided to park it and restore it. I was a kid back then and had no clue what I was getting into. I been buying parts for the last 10 years. And now that I have every thing for the car I started with the engine back in December. Bought a new gm performance block, and I been buying parts for it so today on my list I got to the timing belt. Was very excited and after I won the item on a bid I just realized I need a cover. My question is can I modify a cover to fit over this? Also I dont have much chance for trial and error since I'm in Costa Rica and once I buy something I have to be really sure it will work cause I cant ship items back. So any ideas. Thanks.
Old February 3rd, 2021, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

After days of researching this part. I found the manufacturer specs and maintenance instructions.
so this doesn't use a cover, manufacturers says that belt will melt due to high engine temperatures, they suggest a vented one for offroad dirt and mud racing only. And it needs to be fabricated or buy a really expensive one basically, also a cover will interfere with damper. The manufacturer recommends changing the belt every 2 years on street cars, every time the engine is rebuilt on a track car, and every 200 passes on a dragster.
cheers!