Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Timing chain sprocket

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2021, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain sprocket

I rebuilt my 5.3 ls engine over the winter and then when it was finished.I drove it around for about a week, the oil pressure started dropping slowly.Then one day while driving oil pressure went to 0 ,so I decided to pull the front of the motor and check out the pump.when i did i noticed that the cam shaft thrust plate was cracked when I pulled the timing chain off i found that the gear wore a groove into the thrust plate and cracked it.what would cause it to do that? help
Old March 30th, 2021, 8:09 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by John Custer jr
I rebuilt my 5.3 ls engine over the winter and then when it was finished.I drove it around for about a week, the oil pressure started dropping slowly.Then one day while driving oil pressure went to 0 ,so I decided to pull the front of the motor and check out the pump.when i did i noticed that the cam shaft thrust plate was cracked when I pulled the timing chain off i found that the gear wore a groove into the thrust plate and cracked it.what would cause it to do that? help
Not a rebuilder, but experience in these things. If he the thrust plate is wiped, you do not have enough axial gap on the cam shaft. Not exacting what thrust you should have, my guess is .015 would put you in the ball park. You should consult the mechanical spec's, also is the oil bearing clear?