Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Timing Problem?

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2015, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Problem?

Sorry for the long post, first time using forum and not sure how much detail to give...

I have a 1991 K2500 project truck with a Gen V 454 stock motor with 185,000 miles. I had an exhaust manifold leak which led to a top end rebuild because of broken bolts. I'm not a mechanic and this is my first attempt at something like this. I had the heads done at well know machine shop. They did a valve job and surface. I did not replace the lifters, push rods, or rockers because I was told they looked great!

I also replaced the old timing chain with a high performance double chain set. We (the buddy/mechanic helping me) advanced the timing chain 4 degrees as well. We did this because I have heard that it gives it a little more "get up and go."

I have also replaced: Water pump, power steering pump, oil pump, rear main seal, cap & rotor, plugs & wires, AC components, All new pulleys, sensors, belt, hoses, and all associated gaskets and seals.

Pretty much everything top end...

Here is my problem:

We can't get the thing to run! When we do get it to run it sounds a little like a diesel engine, if that makes any sense? Like the valves are not closing all the way, or the lifters are knocking? The sound however, is throughout, not just one side or the other. We have double and triple checked the rotor placement, and wires. We did a compression check with a top reading of 117 psi and a low of 110 psi. So low, but pretty even throughout. Oil pressure is good as well. We also manually ran the oil pump to pre-lube the lifters etc., along with a lot of White Grease prior to reassembly.

We have considered that the timing chain is a tooth off, or that there is something off on the valves. The Gen V has non-adjustable valves as I understand it, so it is possible that the machine shop messed something up? Although I doubt it... We honestly triple checked the timing chain as well before reassembly, so hard to believe it's off...

So this is what we are down to:

1. Checking the timing chain (All day project)
2. If that checks out, then pulling the heads back off and having them checked. (Even longer day...)
3. Selling and buying a Ford. Never happen!!!

All this being said, is there anything else we can check before I pull the timing chain cover back off, and pull the heads off and have them checked again? It would be an all day project just to pull the cover and check the timing chain, and I REALLY DON'T WANT TO DO THAT!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Marty

Last edited by Hazmedic; January 29th, 2015 at 11:57 PM. Reason: To further elaborate
Old February 1st, 2015, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I would do and it's simple . What I would do is turn your engine over by hand to the top dead center mark .Then check to make sure No.1 piston is up . I would then mark the dist for no 1 on the cap . Remove cap and see if rotor is on or near that no 1 mark . If it's not turn the crank one full revolution back to top dead center . Check distributer again . If it's on or near No.1 timing is good if it's not timing is off and then you need to check the timing chain