Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

tire monitor system

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2008, 7:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire monitor system

I put new chevy rims/tires on my 2007 silverado and my indicator came on saying to service my tire monitoring system. so i guess the sensors are in my old wheels. should i bother going through the hassle of taking them out of the old and put them in the new tires, or is it cheaper to buy new sensors or should i forget the whole thing cause honestly i don't need a computer to tell me when i need air in my tire and can i turn off the indicator. any suggestions
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: tire monitor system

In my opinion, the tpm system is just a pain in the rear. Most people that get summer rims and tires at the GM place I work swap the sensors to the new rims or buy new ones for their new rims to keep the system happy.Plus, every time you change the tires, you risk breaking a monitor off inside the rim. As far as price on the monitors, I couldn't tell you

If you do get new sensors and when you put your stock rims back on, make sure they relearn the tire positions for you, especially after a tire rotation. Nothing makes customers more angry when their car says the passenger rear is flat, when it's actually the drivers front! Ok sorry, getting off topic here.

I myself would just buy four new sensors, because I think it's a pain to have to break 8 tires down twice a year to swap sensors around.
Old June 5th, 2008, 2:09 AM
CF Beginner

hey you guys..im currently going through the same tropic.. i recently bought a 22 inch with 35 series tires on my tahoe..i know, i know..i shouldve gotten 24's instead...but anyhow, i didnt know about the tire sensor..so everytime i start my engine, the tire service monitor indicator goes on.and then to top it off..ive heard that its by law to have this sensors on the new GM and that i wont be able to pass safety check..IS THIS TRUE PEOPLE? oh and then i was told by the dealer that i cant take off the old sensor and have it installed inside of the new RIM..IS THIS ALSO TRUE? and if i were to buy a sensor and install it on the new wheel, WHICH DOESNT GUARANTEE that the computer will pick up anyhow, i was told that each sensor is 200 dollars..so multiply that by four and a labor of 300 bucks..i'll end up spending close or more than 1100 dollars..if anyone knows this to be true or has gone through it..please respond.thank you..smilley
Old June 9th, 2008, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

I have no solution but I did want to chime in ...... The tire monitor system actually impressed me initially - I own an 06 Impala SS. But this system is truly a pain in the butt. Front right is often confused with rear right. After a short interstate drive (less than 5 miles) I get a "please service system" .....Then the freakin thing goes out. Now it's just so eratic....I hate the damn thing. Tire rotation, it all starts up over again. I've never changed my stock rims and tires but mileage is making that choice come up. I dread the moment when I have to elect to re-shoe with stock or go with a new rim and tire package.