Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Trailer or truck wheel?

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2011, 1:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trailer or truck wheel?

I need a spare 6 lug 15" wheel for my G20 van. Someone is selling one with those specs that they say is a trailer wheel. Is it the same thing, or should I avoid the trailer one? Another person has a used wheel that they say fits chevy trucks and they put 15" x 6" and 6 lug, it costs a bit more than the trailer one. Thanks!
Old August 16th, 2011, 7:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings Chevie, welcome to the Forum.

I"m not entirely sure that this applies to all Trailer Wheels, but the ones that I have encountered, differed from a Passenger/Van type, because of the "lack" of offset.
The center of the Bearings and the center of the Tire are usually near or directly in line. Whereas on a Passenger or other rim, there is some offset outward/positive, or inward/negative. But, as far as it's ability to carry the load, there would be no difference. I'm sure one would do for a spare quite well.
Old August 17th, 2011, 3:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Though it might save a little swapping if the "spare" was as good as my other tires. Maybe the trailer one shouldn't be used for thousands of miles on the van.
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chevie,

I don't think one would dismiss extended use of a Trailer Rim/Tire just because it wasn't intended to be used on a Van or other.
Usually, intended use on Trailers, would incorporate some limitations, but those being for economical reasons, a decision by the Trailer manufacturer.

Let me mention just a couple reasons, which support your comment.

Speed Rating is usually the first consideration.
The Manufacturer will presume (and logically so) that you are not going to be running a Rig at extremely high speeds.

Secondly, the Trailer Tire Diameter, may not be comparable to what you are running on your vehicle, even through it may be listed as the same size. Remember that you have seen a "P or LT" listed in your Tire numbering system. For all general purposes, Trailer Rated Tires are not required to comply with that criteria, and that rating is clearly identified on the Tire it's self.

To extend the logic of limited use...
Problems/variations when using any Tire of different diameter is common knowledge, where as it effects Speedometer Readings, Perceived Power variations, both in actual pulling, braking, handling and problems which would occur in Differentials, ABS and other related Computer misinformation from wheel speed differences.

So...
IF you can establish that the Tire Diameter IS the same as the other Tires on your Vehicle, and understand that it's not constructed to be operated at high speeds, then there would be no reason why extended use on your Van, wouldn't be possible.

Last edited by SWHouston; August 17th, 2011 at 11:29 AM.