Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Transmission flush vs. regular service

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2009, 7:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission flush vs. regular service

I have an '04 Silverado with 72,000 miles. Is there any advantage to having regular service ( fluid drain and filter change) or have a "flush" done??? I bought the truck used and have no service records. Thanks
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Many claim a reverse flush is as good as a filter change. I guess if the person making that claim is willing to back that up in writing, and fix your tranny when it goes bad for free, then maybe a reverse flush is the way to go. I don't have anybody who will give me that kind of a written guarantee, so I prefer to change the filter, old-school style.

The change interval is 35-40K for a transmission filter, if you don't have a record, it's safe to assume it probably wasn't changed. It's not the kind of maintenance the average person thinks about much, or has done regularly.

If you're keeping the truck for awhile, get a drain pan bolt(@10$ at most parts stores) and install it when you do your first filter,that will make future trans filter changes easier. Thread search this section for specific instructions how to DIY.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 5:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Rivereye. I was leaning towards the "regular" service. I was told the reverse flush just stirs things up, if you had not been doing it regulary. Thanks again.