Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

trash in cabin filter compartment?

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2020, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trash in cabin filter compartment?

Hello all, new member here.
I own a 2014 Silverado 1500 4x4 with 50,000 miles on it. This past week on a cold morning I experienced issues getting the windshield to clear. This is my first vehicle to have a cabin air filter. I dug in to find it. Pulled it out to find the filter clogged with nesting material from some critter. Has anyone experienced this and what you did you do to prevent it from happening again?
Thank you,
Old February 23rd, 2020, 3:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 671 Likes on 609 Posts

Critters should not be getting in there, so you need to check the cabin intake system for holes. Air is drawn from the cowl area below the windshield, but there are drains from the cowl into the wheel wells. Also check the evaporator/blower motor housing. The other possibility is that critters got into the interior of the vehicle through various means, and then went into the air re-circulation intake.
Old February 25th, 2020, 4:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Critters should not be getting in there, so you need to check the cabin intake system for holes. Air is drawn from the cowl area below the windshield, but there are drains from the cowl into the wheel wells. Also check the evaporator/blower motor housing. The other possibility is that critters got into the interior of the vehicle through various means, and then went into the air re-circulation intake.
mountainmanjoe, The screens under the windshield are in place, they do not stop the Pin Oak leaves from getting in. Two years ago this vehicle was in the body shop having the front fender replaced because of a small accident. The nesting material looked like the gray carpet padding. I suspect this is when something was making my truck their new home. Thanks,
Old February 25th, 2020, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 671 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by camplejeune
The nesting material looked like the gray carpet padding
then they got inside your vehicle