Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Cabin air filter apparently needed replaced

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2018, 3:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin air filter apparently needed replaced

When I took my 14 Traverse in for oil change I got a call from the dealer who told me they noticed my cabin air filter needed replaced. I have bad hearing and I missed the "cabin" part and said no to the $75 replacement. When I picked up the car I saw that it was the cabin air filter and was glad I said no. Today I watched a video about how to change the filter. It is BEHIND the glove box! Under 5 minute fix. My question is why are they checking this? I postulate fraud, call someone mention this part and lighten your wallet and possibly not even look at it or change it.

Any one else have something like this happening?
Old September 26th, 2018, 5:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by AKD200
When I took my 14 Traverse in for oil change I got a call from the dealer who told me they noticed my cabin air filter needed replaced. I have bad hearing and I missed the "cabin" part and said no to the $75 replacement. When I picked up the car I saw that it was the cabin air filter and was glad I said no. Today I watched a video about how to change the filter. It is BEHIND the glove box! Under 5 minute fix. My question is why are they checking this? I postulate fraud, call someone mention this part and lighten your wallet and possibly not even look at it or change it.

Any one else have something like this happening?
A cabin air filter is a good idea. Keeps lots of dust out and keeps the heater and AC evaporator clean too. You cant spare 10-15bucks on a filter?
Old September 26th, 2018, 8:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

why are they changing this; because they are a micron sized filter that stink when they get dirty. the recommended change interval is one year. Most of the $75 was the cost of the filter. flat rate Techs don't want to change them...by the time they quote it, contact the customer and get it authorized...they have lost more time than its worth.

don't change it, in the heart of the summer heat and your car smells like a musty old sock...you may not think they are scamming you.
Old September 26th, 2018, 9:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sneaky thing they do around here is,when you go in for state inspection,if you fail,they write up a estimate,and the cabin filter is included in repair estimate,not on the list for inspection
Old September 29th, 2018, 12:53 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by geo1
The sneaky thing they do around here is,when you go in for state inspection,if you fail,they write up a estimate,and the cabin filter is included in repair estimate,not on the list for inspection
Glad I dont live in your state. They probably mark up the price three or four times what it cost. Are you allowed to do the repairs at all?
Old September 29th, 2018, 10:54 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes,you can have anyone do the repairs,so,then a small reinspection fee,they have to allow that,some shops can't do the needed repair,it's just a bummer that they roll preventative maintenance into the repair order
Old September 29th, 2018, 7:42 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by geo1
Yes,you can have anyone do the repairs,so,then a small reinspection fee,they have to allow that,some shops can't do the needed repair,it's just a bummer that they roll preventative maintenance into the repair order
Yeah, thats the problem with states with such regulations. How much is truly about "safety" and how much goes into the pockets of the politicains and the state?
Old October 18th, 2018, 8:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go here and order a new filter, takes 5 minutes or less and a screw driver, very easy to replace.
https://www.filterheads.com/