Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Tune Up?

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2015, 5:26 PM
Hut
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune Up?

I have a 2003 Suburban LT X4 with 235,000 miles. I've never had a vehicle that has amazed me as much as this one! The only major anything I've replaced was the AC at 82,000 (that was a bummer....). I didn't put brakes on it until 210,000, and only then because the rotors were so wobbly. I pull a travel trailer (6,000 lbs.) anywhere I want to go. I'm sold!

My dilemma, I'm getting a little skip while accelerating through a certain rpm. Nothing is showing on the computer. I'm figuring just a good tune up, but I've heard horror stories of trying to replace plugs at this kind of mileage.... Any advice?
Old August 28th, 2015, 9:30 AM
Hut
CF Beginner

Well.... Thanks for the responses!
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

Not sure of any spark plug horror stories (except on Fords). And you didn't say how long since any last tune up. First (easiest) thing I'd try is a couple tanks of gas with a good injector cleaner added. And a new air filter.
Can you do any of this stuff on your own? Go get a new PCV Valve; get 8 decent plugs (Nippondenso, NGK, Bosch), gap them correcetly, and replace the old. While you're feeling dirty and rich, replace the distributor cap and rotor. Maybe new plug wires. Might want to slide underneath and replace the fuel filter (keeps your fuel pump alive, which is a bitch to replace.)