Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Tuner versus open recall

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2018, 3:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner versus open recall

We all know that tuners will immediately void the powertrain warranty. We all know the tuner people will tell you it doesn't. Blah blah blah. I have a Hypertech.

My question is my 2015 Duramax has three open recalls. All three for safety. I am also having a problem with the heater in my DEF tank. This truck has never seen the inside of the dealership since purchased a new and has 46,000 miles. I will return it to stock but chances are they will find it and know it has been installed anyway.

But I'm starting to think now, if an open safety recall will override or supersede the tuner issue because of the liability involved? Even though the emmissions is not a safety issue, I'm sure the EPA would love to hear they are refusing to fix it and maybe I can push my way around that also a little bit.

I'm a big boy and have owned a dozen of these trucks for my company and I've never had anything go wrong with them under 100,000 miles so I really didn't care. Funny thing is I only bought it to adjust the tire size but when I found out that voided the warranty as well, I went ahead and ran the horse power tune as well as why not.

But.... this was a first time diesel purchase and I can already tell they are much more problematic than gassers