Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

U joint removal

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2021, 2:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U joint removal

Hey there Chevy fam I'm new to the forum but not new to mechanical work, I'm wondering though what would be the best way to r@r a u joint on an aluminium driveshaft as that is one I have not had the pleasure of doing as of yet
Old February 5th, 2021, 6:39 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

There are some folks that manage to replace U-joints on a big rock , and cannot understand why they have vibration problems later.

The best way is to use the tool made for the job. It is like a large "C" clamp and can make the job much easier and without damage. Check with an auto supply store, Kent-Moore makes one of the tools.
If you are going to replace one joint suggest doing both.
A few things to keep in mind, If you are installing OEM joints, usually have no grease fittings. If aftermarket, make sure to install the grease fitting facing the other end of the shaft so you can get a grease gun tip on it with the shaft in the installed position, also line up the grease fittings in the same location so as to have access to both fittings when the fitting is accessible. The job goes a lot easier and quicker when the eyes of the yokes are clean and lubricated to accept the end caps.and installing the retaining rings.
Old February 5th, 2021, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanky
There are some folks that manage to replace U-joints on a big rock , and cannot understand why they have vibration problems later.

The best way is to use the tool made for the job. It is like a large "C" clamp and can make the job much easier and without damage. Check with an auto supply store, Kent-Moore makes one of the tools.
If you are going to replace one joint suggest doing both.
A few things to keep in mind, If you are installing OEM joints, usually have no grease fittings. If aftermarket, make sure to install the grease fitting facing the other end of the shaft so you can get a grease gun tip on it with the shaft in the installed position, also line up the grease fittings in the same location so as to have access to both fittings when the fitting is accessible. The job goes a lot easier and quicker when the eyes of the yokes are clean and lubricated to accept the end caps.and installing the retaining rings.
Thanks for the reply and helpful tips, yeah I definitely do not plan on using a rock lol and yes I know which tool you mean I do plan to do both joints